Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 11 - The Talimena Parkway Grind

Long day, very tired.  Here's the high points:

We started in Ada, Oklahoma and finished in Mena, Arkansas, 174 miles later.

Our pace line group rode the first 100 miles in 5:45 (Clay, Will, Steve, Brian and myself).  20 miles later we began the Talimena Scenic Parkway, 55 miles of long climbs and rollers, many in the 10-15% range.  It was brutal.  We started with a 5 mile climb, which I averaged 4-5 mph on, then raced down several steep rollers only to be stopped dead in my tracks when I started up the other 13% roller on the other side. About 1/2 way through we had another 3.5 mile grinder at 7-13%.  It took 5 hours to cover the 55 miles.  will, Steve and Clay all finished ahead of me, but there were still a lot of gear bags waiting in the parking lot when I pulled in at 6:40p.  Dinner was in the restaurant at the hotel - buffet style.  Many other riders were there so it was a fun conversation hearing about everyone's adventures and how hard the day was.

Mike and Nancy Meyers, PACTour friends and tandem riders extraordinaire sent me a note a few days ago telling me the rode the Talimena Parkway on their tandem and would never, ever do that again.  After today I understand and support this statement.

Sorry no pictures today, I'll try to do better tomorrow.

Tomorrow is 190 miles across Arkansas from Mena to Monticello.  Some hills, but it should be a lot easier than today(I hope!).

2 comments:

  1. How is your new seat doing? Glad that a tough yesterday is over and you have an easier today. Assuming that you noted scenery in eastern Oklahoma while working hard, isn't is beautiful? Visited Nancy last eve and she seems to be doing real well; we enjoyed a bowl of Raspberry Greek Frozen Yogurt which was yummy. Jasper came and joined us on the couch and was being petted at both ends! You are more than half done now! Keep up your super work! Bob and Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent time for the Talimena Scenic Parkway Rob! Especially considering that you had 120 miles in before starting the climb.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete